Animal Rights Activists Protest Backyard Slaughter in East Bay; Do Women Actually Like Chocolate More Than Men?
• An East Bay activist group has been getting very upset about city policies allowing backyard animal slaughter. Oakland urban homesteader Novella Carpenter thinks they should be protesting at industrial farms instead. [SFoodie, Earlier]
• Last week, Trader Joe's finally signed the Fair Food Agreement, agreeing to pay a penny more per pound of tomatoes picked in Florida, which amounts to about a fifty-percent raise for tomato pickers there. [HuffPo]
• Pro surfer Kelly Slater talks about his morning food routine, which generally includes fruit and a vegan smoothie. Also, he has a lot of thoughts about mixing certain foods in the stomach. And this will make you feel bad about your eating habits. [Bon App]
• Despite the slew of chocolate-monikered romance novels and whatnot, there's no scientific reason for women to like chocolate more than men — chalk it up to marketing. [Slate]
• College-student groups including Ban the Bottle are battling it out with the International Bottled Water Association over the vending of bottles on campus; opposed students claim bottled water is not ecofriendly. [The Salt/NPR]
• Overeating is particularly bad for old folks, since consuming more than 2,100 calories a day is shown to speed up cognitive impairment. Better get Gramps off the cookies. [Fox News]