An all-star team of local chefs will gather at Restaurant Michael Mina on October 9 to celebrate chef Michael Mina's two decades as a chef. Next month marks exactly 20 years since Mina first began his career at Aqua, in 1991, and a group of former colleagues from his years at Aqua including George Marrone, Traci Des Jardins, Melissa Perello, and Ron Siegel as well as current and former chefs in the kitchen at Michael Mina (which now resides in the former Aqua space) and RN74, will team up to create a six-course dinner that pays tribute to both the man, his restaurants, and the Bay Area chefs "who helped shape the culinary landscape of America’s greatest food city."
Proceeds from the dinner will benefit All Stars Helping Kids, a charity that helps promote a rigorous learning environment for disadvantaged kids. Seats are $500 apiece, including wine pairings and access to an after-party. Seats are limited, and you can call 415.397.9222 for more information. The fun starts with a reception at 6 p.m. on October 9.
Below, we have a breakdown of the courses and how this stellar group of chefs will team up.
• The evening will start with canapés by San Francisco executive chefs Omri Aflalo of Bourbon Steak, Jason Berthold of RN74 and Jeremy Ravetz of Michael Mina.
• The first course of will be introduced by Gerald Hayden, executive chef of North Fork Table & Inn in Long Island and member of the opening team at Aqua, and Chris L’Hommedieu, who was a line cook at Aqua and later became the executive chef of Michael Mina at The Westin St. Francis on Union Square.
• Joseph Humphrey, who opened Redwood Park with Michael, earned two Michelin stars at Meadowood and is opening Dixie this fall, will prepare the second course with Paul Piscopo, Aqua team member and executive chef at the W San Francisco’s Trace Restaurant.
• Michael will create the third course with his mentor and dear friend George Morrone, founding chef of Aqua, former chef at Fifth Floor and Redwood Room, and executive chef of Boca Steak in Marin County.
• The fourth course will be presented by Bruce Hill, prominent chef and restaurateur (Bix, Picco, Pizzeria Picco) who worked with Michael at Four Seasons and Aqua, and Traci Des Jardins, member of Aqua’s opening team, James Beard Award winner, Iron Chef America winner, and chef/co-owner of Jardinière, Mijita Cocina Mexicana, Public House and Manzanita.
• Executive chef of The Ritz-Carlton San Francisco’s Dining Room and Michael’s “most fun hire,” Ron Siegel, will team up with Frances executive chef Melissa Perello, who manned every station during her tenure at Aqua, worked alongside Ron at Charles Nob Hill, and earned a Michelin star as executive chef of Fifth Floor, to serve the fifth course.
• The sixth and final course will be fashioned by Lincoln Carson, corporate pastry chef for Michael Mina and Mina Group, whose passion and resume impressed Michael from day one, and Bill Corbett, pastry chef at Absinthe who worked with Michael at Michael Mina at The Westin St. Francis and credits Lincoln as his mentor.
Wine pairings for the Anniversary Tribute Dinner will reflect Michael’s favorite wines from the past 20 years from acclaimed producers such as Iron Horse, Evening Land, Sandhi, Au Bon Climat, and Piedrasassi.
Sounds pretty fancy, right?!